Dr Antony Mullen has been elected the new Leader of the Sunderland Conservatives, with James Doyle as his Deputy.
Antony was first elected as a councillor in Barnes Ward in 2018. He served as the Group Press Officer (2018-19) before becoming Deputy Leader of the Group in his second year in office. Antony was elected at the Group's AGM on Monday 22nd June.
James, who has been a councillor for Fulwell since 2019, became Deputy Leader and will be the Group's spokesman on matters relating to Climate Change, the Environment and Transport Portfolio, and the Armed Forces and Emergency Services.
The meeting also saw the appointment of the Conservative Group Shadow Cabinet:
- Cllr Peter Wood - Shadow Cabinet Member for the Office of Cabinet Secretary
- Cllr Joshua McKeith - Shadow Cabinet Member for Children, Learning and Skills and Group Whip
- Cllr Helen Greener - Shadow Cabinet Member for Healthy City (Health and Social Care)
- Cllr William Blackett - Shadow Cabinet Member for Vibrant City (Culture and Communities)
- Cllr Michael Dixon - Shadow Cabinet Member for Dynamic City (Housing and Regeneration)
The Opposition top team will work hard to scrutinise the Council's ruling Labour Group, working constructively in the best interests of the city where we can and putting forward an alternative vision for Sunderland.